Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Sharby's Edamame Salad

Pin It
My favorite part of going for sushi is definitely the Edamame. When they place that little bowl in front of me, all conversation ceases (except for an occasional "mmhhmm," or "yeah"). There's something about the slightly salty, meaty little beans that turn me into something akin to a beaver, gnawing away with total disregard for decorum. So this little salad, that is so yummy, healthy and easy to throw together had me doing a little dance when I first tried it. A whole bowl of edamame (shelled, so I don't have to humiliate myself!) mixed in with some of my other favorite things--dried cranberries and goat cheese--makes it a winner for sure. This one comes from my best friend, Sharby. You know the kind--more like a sister, really. She lives in Memphis. I live in California. That's about 2,249 too many miles apart for my liking. But, when I'm missing her, I make this salad (a small consolation, but a yummy one). She's kinda famous for it in her neck of the woods. It's a great dish to take to a party because it can be served either chilled or at room temp so it travels well and is far from your ordinary salad. I just bet you'll be asked for the recipe!



Boil the edamame in salted water for 5 minutes. Drain under cold, running water to cool and stop the cooking.



In a medium bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lime juice, honey, salt and pepper; stir in the cranberries and basil.


Next, add the edamame, tossing to combine.


Finally, gently fold in the goat cheese.



Sharby's Edamame Salad
Serve 4-6

1 16-ounce bag frozen shelled edamame
2 tablespoons olive oil

1 tsp fresh lime juice
1 tsp honey
pinch salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup basil leaves, cut into thin strips
1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese

1.  Cook edamame in boiling salted water for 5 minutes.  Drain and rinse under cold water to stop the cooking. Pat dry.
2.  Whisk together olive oil, lime juice, honey, salt and pepper. Add cranberries, basil and cooled edamame.

3.    Gently fold in goat cheese.  Serve chilled or at room temperature.

Note: The original recipe calls for feta, which is also very good. I added the lime juice and honey.
Pin It

3 comments:

  1. KB I miss you so much! You are the best friend/sister a girl could ever want! We are way too far apart for sure! I love edamame and so do Zach and Haley! So when I saw this recipe I had to try it! Adding honey and lime sounds delicious...you are brilliant! I love love love The Simple Fig! xoxoxoxo Sharby

    ReplyDelete
  2. The minute I saw this recipe I knew I had to make it for my friend Tonya
    who loves anything with edamame in it...and I was right! She loved it, I loved it
    and since we ate it all we will have to make more for our families. Thanks for
    sharing this great recipe a couple of "old" friends. Miss you...Terri
    P.S. Love your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much, Terri! So glad you guys enjoyed the edamame. Hope to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete