Sunday, February 12, 2012

Ahhhh...Chocolat Chaud (or Fancy, Frenchy Hot Chocolate)

Pin It


So, a few years back, my husband and I went to Paris for New Year's...let's just ponder that thought for a moment...ok, back to reality. Anyway, one afternoon we stumbled upon a little place on Ile St Louis that specialized in Chocolat Chaud. Neither of us had ever had the pleasure of hot chocolate a la Francais, but I can tell you it was SO fabulous, I still daydream about it to this day. They brought to the table a pitcher of hot milk and little individual pots of delectable hot chocolate sauce so you could mix it yourself. Anytime I get my own little pot of anything, I'm happy! So, in honor of Valentine's day here's my best stab at it. Make it and enjoy it while you plan your next trip to Paris!

This recipe, which is more like a drinkable chocolate pudding than the traditional American hot chocolate, is adapted from David Lebovitz . It makes enough for 4 espresso size cups (trust me, it's so rich you won't need more than that).  It's also great because you can make it ahead of time, let it sit for a couple hours at room temp and reheat it when you're ready.


First, heat the milk and sugar in a saucepan just until little bubbles start to form around the edges (don't boil)


Can you see the bubbles?

Next, stir in the chocolate to melt. Raise the heat a little so the mixture just starts to boil and whisk constantly for 2-3 minutes (don't walk away or it will boil over!)  Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.


Ladle into espresso cups and enjoy with someone you love!


Chocolat Chaud
serves 4

  • 2 1/4 cups whole milk
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp sugar
  • 5 oz. good chocolate, chopped (I like Trader Joe's 72% Cacao Dark Chocolate...it comes in a 3 pack, which is just the right amount for this recipe)
  • 1/4 tsp good vanilla extract
  1.  Heat the milk and sugar in a medium saucepan over med/low heat until warm.
  2. Add the chocolate and whisk until melted. Increase heat slightly and stir constantly until mixture barely comes to a boil (you may have to continually adjust the heat to keep it from boiling over).  Continue to cook and stir for 2-3 minutes until mixture is thick.
  3. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract.


Pin It

1 comment:

  1. This looks so good. I'm heading for the kitchen to try it. I love your Blog!

    ReplyDelete